Natural Ways to Protect Against Coronavirus
- 16 April 2020 16 April 2020
Our Naturopathic Nutritionist & Wellness Expert Hollie Bailey shares her top tips to help support your natural defences against Coronavirus, colds and flu.
If you’re concerned about the coronavirus (COVID-19), turn to tools from Mother Nature to protect your immune system. Understandably, there’s a lot of panic and worry going around about the coronavirus these days. And while there are a lot of unknowns now, the best thing we can do is prepare and shield ourselves from harmful pathogens.
At least we are less concerned about seasonal allergies these days!
We cannot control everything in the outside world, but what we can help is our inner-terrain, strengthening our immunity and our micro-biome. Armour your immune system for whatever life throws at you.
What can we do internally to protect or recover from CV?
Recovery from CV19 is directly dependant on the strength of your immune system.
Here are top tips for immune power
Take a daily probiotic daily – to fortify your gut and balance your microbiome
- Vitamin D
- Helps regulate T helper cells
- 10 minutes of summer sun exposure results in endogenous production of roughly 400IU (10 μg) in fairer skin types
Eat more foods which are high in immune-boosting zinc
- Pumpkin & sunflower seeds
- Dark chocolate (bet you like this option!)
Eat more foods which are high in Vitamin C
- Raw & fruits
- Eat the rainbow for maximum antioxidants
There is a sleep and immune connection. Sleep deprivation suppresses our T-Killer cells
- Start your bedtime routine earlier and switch off Netflix
- Run an Epsom salt bath
- Take Magnesium Citrate in the evenings
- Dry dehydrated cells do not function optimally
- Help your lymphatic system flush out toxins from the body
- Drink plenty of water and high water-content foods
- Just do your best. Try not to get caught up in the frenzy of the current climate
- Chronic system has a direct correlation with immune dysfunction
- Just breathe in between kids’ nap times and work
- Even if just once per day
- There are free podcasts, meditation and yoga classes everywhere
Hot elixir recipe
Drink throughout the day. Elixirs have been used in Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine throughout the centuries.
Ginger root has powerful antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties and may effectively protect against respiratory tract infections.
- 2 cups hot water
- One 2-inch knob of fresh ginger root (look for ginger that has a thin, shiny skin that can easily be scraped with your fingernail)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Turmeric (fresh or dried)
- (Optional) 1 tsp raw honey
- (Optional) Pinch of cayenne pepper or a cinnamon stick for an extra kick
1. Wash ginger and slice. Peeling isn’t necessary, but you’ll want to scrub off any visible dirt.
2. Add the ginger slices to hot water and boil with the lid on for 10-20 minutes (this will be much more potent than ginger tea bags)
3. Remove from heat and strain.
4. Add lemon, turmeric, raw honey or cayenne
5. You can enjoy your fresh ginger tea either hot or cold based. Store any extra in the refrigerator for 1-2 days. Drink one to three cups daily to maximize the health benefits.
For online nutrition and wellness support, contact our Naturopathic Nutritionist Hollie, who will give you supplement support, a tailored food plan and herbal advice to help with protecting or recovering from COVID-19.